Wednesday, March 21, 2012

wednesday warbles: stalled reading, music player phone, walking around, missing hunger games premier, reserving a supercrooks copy

I can't seem to get a headway into reading these days.
 
But this time around, it isn't the book's fault as I find China Miéville's The Scar fascinating even if I've just read the opening chapter and still have to really plunge into it.
 
I just can't help thinking that it might have been beneficial for me if I've instead read Miéville's earlier novel, Perdido Street Station, which is also set in the same world of The Scar. While The Scar is a stand-alone set in the same fantasy world, it happened directly after events in Perdido Street Station and I'm thinking that many of the elements and creatures that appear in The Scar might already have been introduced and, in a way, explained in the first Bas-Lag series novel. That would make for faster reading, if that was the case.
 
However, moreover than this little hitch in reading, I can't into extended reading spells recently because I've been busy resurrecting my two other blogs -- The Diabetic Daddy, and my gambling-related blog, The Gaming Daily.
 
The maintenance of these two blogs, with the occasional update on The Coffee House Chronicles is eating up time and energy that after doing hours on these blogs, reading would be the farthest thing on my mind thereafter. I would rather pick-up the PSP.
 
* * * *
 
I've got a new toy gadget. Well, it's new for me but it's an old thingy already, another gadget bequethed to me by my sister.
 
It's a Nokia XpressMusic phone and I'm not using it as a phone but rather as a music player because it comes packed with an 8GB memory card. I've just finished loading it with old MP3s I've had lounging for quite a while and now I can go through 9 hours of a day with it without repeating a song. Quite useful when I do my walking as it helps keep me in rhythm.
 
Who's on my playlist? Nirvana, STP, B52s, Black Crowes, GNR, Audioslave, Counting Crows, Incubus, 311, Matchbox 20, Vertical Horizon, Silver Chair, System of a Down, RHCP, Poison, and other artists from the 90s up to the mid-2000s.
 
Yes. Nostalgia.
 
The thing though is even with this device, I still am looking for a good set of ear-phones that will fit snuggly. I've gone through 3 or 4 earphones and unfortunately, they had the tendency to slip from my ears especially when sweat and oil figure into the occasion. Bought a new pair -- ear-buds  -- which you actually insert into your inner ear for a snugger fit. Bought the pair from Blade at a cheap P88 and what did I get? Cheap service and quality, of course. It's serviceable but I'm sure there are other ear-buds that offer a better music experience.
 
For now, these'll have to do.
 
* * * *
 
Speaking of walking --
 
Last night, I decided to jumpstart my walk-xercise simultaneously with my renewed calorie counting over at The Diabetic Daddy.
 
After dropping off Elvie at her office for her night shift, I walked from The Enterprise Center through Paseo de Roxas to Makati Avenue and then navigated myself to Valero Street on the way to Buendia. Crossed Buendia and walked through its stretch until I reached JP Rizal where I turned left and walked the remaining stretch back home to Barangay Olympia.
 
It was a good brisk walk and I was drenched in sweat by the time I arrived home.
 
Felt good afterwards :)
 
* * * *
 
As the Desk is an advertiser, we've received invitation to the premier of Hunger Games scheduled tonight.
 
Unfortunately, the premier will be held at SM Megamall in Mandaluyong and I'll be skipping out on this one. Just the thought of the traffic along EDSA on the way to Megamall is already enough to turn me off. Even on weekends I avoid going northward as I abhor the EDSA traffic. On weekends, I'm allergic of going anywhere that required passing through EDSA unless of course I get a free ride to and fro with someone else driving.
 
But Hunger Games is intriguing. Was able to view the trailer last weekend and the books have been receiving quite a number of praises worldwide that I'm of two minds whether to read the books first, or watch the movie.
 
* * * *
 
Last night, while trawling through FB updates, I saw that National Book Store was having a promo in connection with the launch of Supercrooks # 1, the comic written by Mark Millar, pencilled by Leinil Francis Yu, and inked by Gerry Alanguilan. According to the FB promo, the first 150 gullibles like myself who went to any NBS or Power Books branch on March 21 will get a chance to win a priority signing pass when Millar rolls into town in May.
 
Basically, what this means is that if you're one of the 150, you'll get to be first in line to have your copy of Supercrooks signed by MIllar et al. Even if fans camp overnight just to be among the early ones to have their books signed, if you have the pass, you're guaranteed to have your comic book autographed.
 
I went to NBS - Greenbelt this morning and unfortunately their Customer Service didn't know about the promo. I had to explain it to the poor girl behind the counter who had no idea what promo I was talking about and what Supercrooks is. She just took note of my name and the book I was looking for just like any other reservation. I fear, after this incident, that I will not be one of the 150.
 
I think I would've have had a better chance if I went to Power Books - Greenbelt instead.
Related Posts with Thumbnails