Wednesday, February 22, 2012

wednesday warbles: illnesses in the family, terra nova early impressions, finished with feast of crows now reading ...

I wrote an entry late last week, Friday, but unfortunately formatting issues when I posted it emerged. I took down the post with the intent of reformatting it later in the evening when I got home but I never got to do it. So, that entry has gotten stale but I'll still be refurbishing stuff from that post so as not to completely waste its entirety.
 
It's been a shaky week for our little family with both Ikai and Issa experiencing bouts of illnesses -- mainly fever that is on-and-off. And this morning, Issa had to be rushed to ER because rashes suddenly appeared all over her body and we feared dengue (due to the fever). But it was not dengue, thank God, but unfortunately doctors diagnosed it as some form of ulticaria (a rather severe case of allergic reaction with no traceable cause or trigger but generally termed "due to environment"). Elvie experienced an attack of ulticaria after Issa was born for a good part of the year. It seems now Issa inherited it and that'll mean another treatment.
 
And I said another treatment because both Issa and Ikai have been diagnosed by their pedia-pulmonologist last week as having allergic asthma and are undergoing treatment right now.
 
Ikai, on the other hand, has been absent from school for two days now because of recurring fever. If her temperature goes up beyond normal again tomorrow, she has to undergo a dengue test. This has been worrying Elvie and me and it's been a rather tiring week so far. Elvie and I have been waking up every few hours at night just to check on the girls.
 
* * * *
 
I watched the first two episodes of the sci-fi series Terra Nova and based on those, the series has shown much promise and is indeed a family-oriented show. Not so technical or too geeky but something that even someone who is vaguely into sci-fi stuff will understand. I could not say I am hooked. I've watched just four episodes so far. But if reviews of the series scoured from the 'net could be believed, the series plateaus somewhere in the middle but suddenly picks up at the end.
 
That, according to some 'net sources, is the reason why the green light for the second season of Terra Nova hasn't been given yet. FOX Network is still in the process of evaluation whether TN is worth pursuing or not. Given the rather huge expense and the six-weeks post production needed per episode, FOX is still comparing that to relatively good ratings. Network execs have already said that the show is "profitable" but is it worthwhile?
 
With just four episodes, I say let's see a second season. Mid-season, network execs can evaluate whether TN is worth its value in dollars and then they can pull the plug on the show. But let the second season end, folks. Let the show have a decent ending, if ever.
 
I wouldn't want to experience 4400 all over again.
 
* * * *
 
I've already finished Feast of Crows over the weekend and started a few pages of Wizard's First Rule, the first book in Terry Goodkind's The Sword of Truth series. I can't really get into the feel with WFR but hopefully in the coming days (or nights -- the only time I get to read these past week) I'll get settled with the book and read along on a fairly good pace.
 
After this book however, it's either I buy the next book in the Sword of Truth series or another "read".
 
I've still got that Fully Booked gift certificate I got from Elvie last Christmas and I'm now feeling an urge to use it to buy Embassytown by China Miéville. However, I'm still trying to see if they'll be releasing the book in the cheaper mass market version any time soon so I'm holding off so that I could buy two books with the GC.
 
Speaking of mass market editions ... a quick visit to my favorite book haunts earlier this week and I still failed to see mass market editions of Dance of Dragons (George R.R. Martin) and Key to Creation (Kevin J. Anderson). These are books I'm eagerly awaiting to hit the local bookstores in such editions because, to be frank, it won't be practical for me to buy the hardbound edition of DoD. On the other hand, I haven't seen any version of KtC in the bookstores so far -- whether hardbound or softbound or mass market. I only know that this book exists because it has been released in the US June last year.
 
* * * *
 
Last week, I was struck again by another inspiration -- a story and world-building idea -- while walking down Legazpi Street on the way back to the Desk from lunch.
 
Like any other idea that hits me, I got excited that the minute I got back to the office, I started typing down the ideas lest they disappear. Well into the next day, ideas were still brimming and up until today, I still got several stuff in my head that needs to get jotted down. Hoping those ideas don't get lost because it's been a chaotic, busy, and worry-filled week.
 
What's the idea all about? It has got to do with heights and scaffoldings and levels and a certain brotherhood of masons, literally.
 
* * * *
 
My little ones were flower girls last Saturday.
 
My wife's niece was married last Saturday and she (the bride) chose her cousins, Ikai and Issa, to be part of her entourage. While Ikai was game and walked the church aisle, Issa had to be led by hand down the red carpet :P
 
All in all, the wedding went smoothly and the reception was equally fine. What I didn't like about the wedding was the fact that I was a ninong or one of the principal sponsors. At 35, a ninong? I'm sure my wife didn't like being a ninang as well but we obliged as it was family, after all, that requested.
 
* * * *
 
Hey, I'm turning a year older on Friday :P
Related Posts with Thumbnails