The massive shudder over at Japan last week must've messed up Globe's internet connectivity as we had no internet at the apartment over the weekend. And as far as I know, we ain't yet connected up until now.
I wonder how long it's going to be until we're connected again? With experiences with our current provider, I don't want to keep my hopes up.
* * * *
I think I sprained my left ankle. Or at least did something painful to the muscles in the left ankle area because now I'm having a hard time putting weight on it.
Trying to recall what I've done this past weekend, I think the culprit was when I tried to push against a loaded push-cart on an incline sideways. We went to Shopwise for the usual once-every-two-weeks grocery trip and after checking out of the counter, no baggage-boy offered to help bring the merchandise to the car. Unfortunately, I was parked quite a ways from the exit and it meant pushing the fully-loaded grocery cart along the expanse of the parking that was in a incline of about 25 degrees. I had to do it that way because the next option would be to push the cart along Pasong Tamo which made me a target of jeepneys and tricycles who so suddenly swerved curbside to get to potential passengers. So all the while, I was pushing and trying to manuever the cart sideways and that meant much of the weight needed to prevent the cart from rolling onto the street was on my left leg, in particular my left ankle-foot. Sadly, I think that did the damage because the next day, I started feeling the pain.
I was still able to drive yesterday well enough (I drive stick-shift) but this morning, it has become rather a tad difficult but still possible. I doubt however I could still do it tomorrow.
I was wearing heeled shoes when I came to the office but it was painful. I had to go back to the car and change back to my flat-soled driving shoes just to relieve the pain. But now, the pain is getting worse with each step a painful one. I actually now walk funny :(
Looks like a trip to the hilot is in order tonight :(
* * * *
I already finished Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol and like I said earlier, was supposed to write and then post a book review over the weekend before the internet connection got cut.
This isn't the book review yet but let me just say that after reading TLS, I can't wait for the movie adaptation. Why? I guess you'd better wait for the late review of the book to find out.
The late review of The Lost Symbol will hopefully be up within the week (assuming I manage to find time to write it down).
* * * *
With reading of TLS done, what do I now read? Again, I've got a multitude of options.
I've put an Alan Dean Foster-edited funny fantasy anthology on eye-level on the bookshelf just in case alongside The Difference Engine which I've already started reading. Also on hand is a new YA book I bought as a birthday gift a couple of weeks back -- The Mysterious Benedict Society -- by Trenton Lee Stewart which might just get my attention if nothing else turns up.
Then there's always an old book (or books) available to read. I'm due to re-read my collection of Eddings including the Belgariad and the Mallorean Pentads, and the Elenium and the Tamuli trilogies. Also lurking just behind the said series are my Prequels to Dune and the several volumes of recently-deceased Brian Jacques' Redwall adventures.
So many options. Plus, I've got a lot of TV series and movies waiting on the wings as well, desperately trying to get my attention.
* * * *
Speaking of getting my attention, one show getting my attention on the tube of late is American Idol 10.
I've never watched any of the show's previous seasons mainly because of the show's visibility on our previous cable provider. But now that StarWorld is available, I've managed to catch it, most of the time on its reruns during the week.
It'll be unfair to judge this season versus the previous ones but I'm actually enjoying it because of the talents the contestants are showing. As mentioned by the judges, this season's talent pool is so deep that the remaining contestants now performing are the best of the best, the cream of the top.
Adding to this season's attractiveness for me is the credibility of the judges. Having Steven Tyler and Jennifer Lopez join veteran idol judge Randy Jackson was a good move by the producers of the show because they were able to salvage the show from the exit of Simon Cowell. Let's face it ... Idol rated not only because of the talent that produced new singing idols like Kelly Clarkson, David Cook, or Adam Lambert but also because of the judges. Cowell, most notably, was a reason for the show's continued popularity and with his terminus, it was likened to a death knell for the show. Tyler and Lopez, both established singers and professionals, coming in helped save the show's popularity and thank goodness for the talents this time around.
So, who's my pick?
I haven't got one firm pick at this time around as there are several which I think have the chances of pulling it off. Of course, I'm rooting for Thia Megia, not just because she's of Filipino descent but because she is quite very, very good. Other faves of mine in the current crop include the musically-inclined Casey Abrams, rocker James Durbin (performed a Judas Priest song on Idol? Hats-off to you, dude), and country-yoddler Scotty McCreery.
Kayo, who's your pick to win?