According to an article on Shine on Yahoo! written by EatingWell Magazine Associate Nutrition Editor Kerri-Ann Jennings, MS, RD, I do not have to quit coffee for five very enlightening (and cheer-me-upping) reasons.
Reason 1: It protects your heart
Reason 2: It diverts diabetes
Reason 3: Your liver loves it
Reason 4: It boosts your brain power
Reason 5: It helps your headaches
Read the entire article here.
Since I've officially accepted the fact that I'm a diabetic (there have been signs and symptoms since the mid-2000s but I only got diagnosed with the D last 2008), I've rather been morbid with my thoughts in relation to health. With the D, I know I've cut down my mortality by a large percentage and that having this chronic disease is an open invitation for a host of other complications including (but not limited to) renal failure, stroke, heart disease, blindness, liver diseases, among others.
So, to read that coffee, something that I'm fond of and can't seem to go through the day without, is helping me health-wise is quite heartwarming. I've actually been thinking of dropping my consumption to one-a-day (my average daily intake is 2 to 3 servings a day) but if the anti-oxidants are helping me stave off the progression of the D then I'm postponing moderating my caffeine intake.
As in all things, moderation is the key. Here's to long life!