I let my work speak for itself. Look at the results. Am I getting things done? Are the things being requested (and in most cases, demanded) produced? Am I meeting impossible deadlines set?
The bottomline is I get things done properly and as creatively and as with minimum errors as possible given the inconsiderate deadlines and the vague parameters.
I let my work speak for itself. I don't have to brag about it.
I don't believe you have to be noisy to be effective. I'm a quiet person, what can I do? Even though I work in marketing, I don't have to conform to the notion that marketers are a noisy and boisterous and loud bunch.
I choose the quieter path. It still get things done and that's the most important thing.
And if it seems like I am not working ... no, no, no ... if it seems like I am not seen to be working then I think someone is blind. If I haven't been working how can things be done?
If I have to, I myself do the nitty-gritty. I don't just stand idly by and let every one of my guys do the work. If I had the time and the capacity I try to unload work from them. Geesh, if you just give me a proper design machine I would've probably done a lot of the design work myself.
And I work my best each and every time. Of course, "best" is subjective and relative. Your "best" might not be at the same level as my "best". Your "best" might be the heavens while mine is grounded on what's possible and probably given all the factors.
And I try to be a darn good leader and commander to my troops. God knows I do try to make sure they're well taken cared of. But sometimes I can only do so much. I can only say so much and I can only promise so much. The rest is up to the guys on top to take a look down and see what needs to be done.
And I work within and around whatever knowledge or information I have at hand. I can't second-guess. I can't predict. I most definitely can't fortune-tell. I only can work with what I know. You can't expect me to turn in millions in worth if I don't have anything to work with in the first place.
And alongside that is the ability to work independently. I can think for myself, thank you. But then again, I can only wield so much authority. There's no such thing as "empowerment" yet. Everything's still very much dependent on whatever happens on top.
Give me a enough of a mandate to decide and shape and carve and spindle and I can weave threads of gold.
But don't expect that I will be loud or boisterous. I don't work that way. I work quietly and like I said, I get things done, in one quiet way or the other.