Sunday, October 26, 2008

productive?

It has been a rather "productive" weekend.

But it's not the kind of productivity that one would expect of a husband who has stayed home for two days (with house chores just waiting to be done). No, the productivity I am talking about deals with "creative" productivity.


The productivity in question involved a personal project that has been in the pipeline for quite some time (and it's not
Friendster, despite my sudden addictiveness to this social networking platform) -- getting around to recording my original compositions and the first step to that personal endeavor has been to twiddle and fiddle with this nifty gadget which I blogged about, I think, last year -- Audacity.

Using just my office laptop (the IT guys will kill me for what I'm doing to this makina), a simple pair of headset with mic, and an installed Audacity software (freeware, downloaded from their site), I have managed to finally figure out that I can indeed record (ala recording studio style) and save it. You can then (using 3rd party plug-ins and DLL files) export (aka Save As) it as either a .wav file (which makes the file a HDD space hogger) or a more manageable .mp3 file.

As soon as more alone time permits, I will do further experimentation on Audacity especially to figure out how to record and mix tracks or elements (adding second vocals to an earlier recorded voice and guitar accompaniment and then later on, adding a bass line).


I think I wasted about four hours of the Saturday afternoon just playing and fiddling with the audio recording/editing software and with my old battered guitar "recorded" some songs -- covers and originals -- but since I've been out of practice (guitar-wise, lyric-wise and vocal-wise), decided they were not worthy to be "broadcasted".


I however did a sample case, tripping on Five for Fighting's "Easy Tonight" which I think is, among all the songs I recorded, presentable. Sunday, utilizing Imeem's upload facility managed to have it converted into an "embeddable" file.

This is not the entire song but a portion of it -- I even started the darn thingy in the pre-chorus part leading into the chorus before launching into the third stanza before ending it in a chorus.

Wala lang, trip-trip lang.

Easy Tonight Cover - Ram
Related Posts with Thumbnails