Thursday, May 29, 2008

Thursday Tidbits: Diabetes, Rai, Robert Kiyosaki

No, the Coffee House Chronicles is not transforming into a monthly post blog deliberately.

My last post was May 10, and it wasn't even a proper post but I had instead announced Dean Alfar's Open Call for Spec Fic submissions. Since then, roughly twenty days has passed since today when I write this post while waiting. Waiting for work to end today.

In fact, none of my blogs is updated. Not PMO and not even Sportsblitzer. I've got several other blogs still in states of construction as I've yet to find the time to attend to them -- and they're supposed to be my tickets to financial freedom as I envision them to bring me riches courtesy of the wonder of the interactive world aptly named affiliate marketing.

With further ado, welcome again to May and welcome back the Thursday Tidbits!

sugar bites

It's confirmed, unfortunately, that I am now a diabetic. Type 2 Diabetic, that is. A full blood test in April confirmed my endocrinologist's suspicions that I indeed have overdone my fetish for the sweet life and I now join the throngs of millions of Filipinos who may or may not know that they suffer from the big D.

But the news is not so bad. At least it's not a Type 1 -- the type where you had to periodically inject insulin. The D that I have is acquired ... a result of a lifestyle disease. Usual D cases is a result of too much alcohol intake. Mine is the other type of Type 2 -- caused by another vice -- food, or the over-indulgence of food especially carbos. Whereas the normal Complete Blood Glucose count for a person should be a max of 115, mine was (at least a month ago) 197.

So, the doc prescribed several drugs to reduce not just the sugar levels but also cholesterol, liver enzymes, and uric acid levels.

Two weeks after the first consultation and tons of meds, my sugar levels returned to normal as the Complete Blood Glucose level was not at 70 (minimum is a 73 in normal humans).

But does that mean I've beaten the D? No, no, no, no. That's because D is a chronic disease -- there's no cure for it. When you get it, it's with you for life. I can still live a normal and long life as long as I control and maintain discipline.

What's next is a target weight reduction because as long as I maintain my fatness, the D is more dangerous. Doc recommended I attend a diet clinic (costs a smacking PHP600) and now I try (emphasis on try) to make sure my calorie intake per day doesn't exceed 1700.

The results are promising. From 212 lbs before the diet, I reduced my weight to 208 lbs two weeks after. Since May 9, I now weigh more or less 200 lbs or a reduction from 93 kilos to 91.The target is a reduction of total weight to around 65 kilos which is the optimum weight for someone with a height and age like mine.

I've been exercising and limiting my food intake. I do deviate every now and then from the prescribed diet but I make sure I burn up whatever excess calories I have. The stress at work has been helpful as I tend to burn calories more when I'm stressed out (that's because I walk more when I am stressed).

Next check up is a couple of weeks from now and I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I've already met the 2 kilos reduction but of course, you'll never know if you've met the sugar passing mark.

More mets ... Metformins, that is.


work, work, work

I'm in dire need of a vacation or at least a couple of days off.

Everything has been hustle and bustle, rush, rush, rush at the office for a big event that's currently ongoing (learn more about this event). I guess, I deserve this because I chose the marketing path ... comes with the package.

But despite the complaints, the hardship, the hard-headedness and the apparent disregard for timelines and deadlines and the word "impossible" by most people I work with ... I can say, it has been fun.

I would've wanted to have "more say" on many matters (I still sometimes feel like a glorified supervisor than a GER) but heck, I'll deal with whatever comes at my level and escalate stuff that I know I don't have authority over.

But I badly need a break ... about 48 hours worth should be enough.


food that i miss

Since acquiring the D, my diet has restricted me to eating more veggies, less meats, more fresher produces, and almost 0 sweets.

Since last week of April, I haven't had ice cream, any cake, regular soda, ensaymada, fruit juices (concentrate or whatever), native delicacies and sweets, many types of pastries, and whole slew of other sweet items.

As mentioned however, I have deviated already from my diet but the main thing is limiting the intake.

When my wife and I go to the groceries or supermarket, it now becomes second nature to look at the nutrition facts of the package. No nut-fact, no buy. That's because I now have to look at the calorie and fat content of whatever I put into my mouth.

Calories counting ... something new and weird but something vital for me nowadays.

Thank goodness for all things Diet, Lite, Low-Cal and No Sugar.

When I hit the ideal weight, I can begin eating foods that I miss anew .. but then again, in moderation.


rai is born

My sister, Rochelle, gave birth to a daughter last month.

Welcome to the world Raizel ... from a happy Tito Ram.


children of hurin is in the box

In addition, my sister has also mentioned that she has finally tracked down a good paperback version of The Children of Hurin, the Tolkien-book published post-humously by JRR Tolkien's son, Christopher.

Rochelle said that the book is already in the balikbayan box that she is slowly beginning to fill-up with oddities (I'm sure a lot of them will have the labels -- No Sugar or Sugar-free or Made with Splenda). The BB will hopefully be in town come Christmas season and I'll have another Tolkien book in the arsenal.

Yipee!


donating the rig

My sisters-in-law and my hilaw bro-in-law are just about to open their new venture -- a caregiver testing center right smack in the middle of Caloocan.

Our contribution to the venture is in terms of items that can be used by the center. Already, the house has been denuded of items such as the dinner table and chairs, the single bed in the other room, odds and ends from the kitchen, items that Baby Ikai has already outgrown, and believe it or not, one of my wife's potted plants.

However, the dearest item that will soon join the other contributions to the center is my rig. Yes, the CPU, along with the keyboard and mouse probably, will now be owned by Tephillah Testing Center (I did NOT make up the name).

But before I give away my rig completely, I will return it to its original state -- take out the DVD writer and replace it with the original CD writer; take out the additional mem sticks and, if I am generous, just make it a 1GB unit (planning to sell the 512MBs to get back some of my investments); take out the additional fans I installed; and put back the coverings I've taken off in an effort to control the CPU's internal temp.

I've also managed to get hold of a USB enclosure and I'm taking away one of the 80GB HDDs, basically my data disk, and all that will remain in the rig is a single 80GB HDD with the programs. It's partitioned so, half the space will be for data.

I'm going to miss my rig but I'm hoping to get an updated one soon.


rich dad, poor dad

While book-hunting at the Booksale kiosk at ATC the day before Mother's Day, I managed to buy a copy of Robert Kiyosaki's book, Rich Dad, Poor Dad -- the controversial self-help book on entrepreneurship.

I've heard about the book and the author, both praises and criticims. I've heard about how people's lives have been changed because of what Kiyosaki has preached and how other people's lives have been disillusioned after trying to apply Kiyosaki's "preachings".

I have yet to finish the book but I must say, it's not the best of books ... it's not the best of business-related or entrepreneurship reads I've seen, but it does encourage you to think. It gives practical advice ... it's preaching of the four pillars of financial intelligence, I believe, is something that is inherent in all successful businessmen and entrepreneurs.

The book may lack the actual step-by-step procedure but heck, success can't be taught, I believe. You can be guided to success but the actual process to achieving it is different for every person. What Kiyosaki offers is a guide more or less and an inspiration, and an idea that anyone, with the right frame of mind, with a clear goal in mind, with the right determination, can indeed succeed.

If this book is a total waste, as critiqued by business experts, then why do I find it interesting enough to finish? Kiyosaki tends to repeat himself every now and then in the chapters but that didactic way of writing is reinforcement.

I'm not 100% sold to Kiyosaki's beliefs but I am inspired by him to think.

Related Posts with Thumbnails