The rush to the malls and department stores for gifts, giveaways and what-have-yous are not just about over with Christmas Day now safely over and people are now looking forward to the New Year's noisy celebrations.
This year I skipped on this annual (and sometimes obligatory) tradition because I simply don’t have the resources on hand. No, I’ve got a good excuse for not being so generous in this season of gift-giving.
My daughter was born just last month and somehow we’re still recovering financially from that situation. And of course, the upkeep with a baby around has just ballooned. So, please accept my apologies if you don’t receive a gift from me.
But talking about Christmas, I’m sure each and every one has got that Christmas Wish List safely tucked somewhere (mine’s in my head) – a list of items that we always hope for but never seem to have the time or the money to buy with, or because of other priorities we waive the chance to buy them even if you do have the dough.
While I doubt someone will actually give me these stuff, it’s nice just dreaming about them. As they say, “libre mangarap” (it’s free to dream):
ACOUSTIC GUITAR
Yes, a spanking new acoustic guitar, metal strings ha? Hindi nylon. My current acoustic guitar needs to be retired after millions of hours of playing and restringing. It has composed over roughly 30 songs in its lifetime and it has become more difficult to play as the fretboard and strings are now miles apart. Despite the thought that it can still be played (prepare the calluses), it deserves much-needed rest after faithfully serving my crazy inclination to music-making and rock-n-rolling for the past 17 years. I hope to have nothing fancy (like that Seagull acoustic worth Php 22K or a Gibson), I can go for a guitar in the Php 5K to Php 10K range from Yamaha, Perfect Pitch, JB Music and, yes, even from RJ Music. And a kapo would be a welcome addition.
BORACAY BEACH PROPERTY
Despite the fact that I don’t swim, some day I hope to own a beach front property in Boracay. Good news that the local government has decided to clean up the commercialization that has plagued the country. The property I dream of can either be a rest house or even an entire resort (sayang kung hindi mo ma-maximize yung property). I’ve been fascinated with the island since I first saw it in 2000. Back then, Boracay was still devoid of the numerous shops that littered the beach front – it was what exactly what the brochures boasted – one of the world’s most beautiful beaches.
BAGUIO TOWNHOUSE
The first time I went to Baguio was only in 2004 for a company event and the place’s serenity and cool climate has got me dreaming of owning a property somewhere there but not within the city, only in the suburbs tucked away in the greenery of the pines. Imagine, it’s one of the few places where your house can have a real fireplace and where I can enjoy a hot shower. Being a perpetually-perspired person, the Baguio climate makes for the perfect abode. Baguio for me is a perfect haven for writing, soul-searching, and some romantic moments with your significant other.
LAPTOP
Much as I prefer the desktop PC, a laptop has its advantages and as mobile technology improves, the more I see myself using a laptop. Preferred brand? An Asus. Nothing fancy, mind you, or anything super-sophisticated. Just an Asus machine powerful enough for graphic design purposes, presentations, the internet, play movies with. Plus, it should be geared enough to run The Sims 2 and other PC video games I like to play.
THE SIMS 2 and EXPANSION SETS and STUFF
EA and Maxis will be releasing The Sims 3 sometime soon but up until now, I haven’t gotten to buying The Sims 2. And naturally, if I buy the Sims 2, I also would prefer to buy the expansion sets and stuff packages as well of course. One reason why I haven’t bought it yet is because it’s in DVD format. So, basically I also need to have a …
DVD EXTERNAL DRIVE
I’ve been lurking the TipidPC website to determine how much external DVD drives are but this is one PC component that at this point can only be classified as a luxury. While the price is relatively inexpensive, there are other more important things to buy with Php 2,000 just like a 2-week grocery inventory, my daughter’s diapers, or as a payment to my existing loans and credits.
MY OWN BUSINESS
Yes, I dream of becoming my own boss. Blame Entrepreneur magazine for this crazy idea but I do dream someday of running my own business, be it a franchise or a start-up of my own concept. Now, if I only had money as capital ….
A CAR
I don’t know how to drive. But having a car would make a good incentive for me to learn how to man the wheel. While I’m not much of a car buff I do have some preferences. One of my all-time favorites is the last “boxed” model of the Toyota Corolla which came out before 1993. Something in red would do nicely. If I were to choose among the current models today, the Honda Jazz catches my fancy though I think with my frame it would be stupid for me to buy this model. With my large frame, an SUV would be more suitable. If I were to choose a sedan-type anything from Honda or Toyota will do.
COMICS SUBSCRIPTION
Ever since I was young I have loved comics – DC, Marvel and the independents. But I’m more a DC comic-lover and much more inclined to read about Batman, Superman, and Green Lantern. I did however enjoy Marvel comics like Spiderman, Captain America, X-Men, etc. when I had the chance to get hold of Marvel titles. Later on, when other independent makers like Image and Dark Horse became more popular I also got hold of quite a few copies. However as the times flew by, my interest in comics waned, more because of affordability of maintaining it as a hobby. If I had the chance and the money, I would’ve readily subscribed to several DC titles – Justice League, Justice Society, Wildcats, Stormwatch, Spiderman, Batman, etc.
DRAGON MAGAZINE & HEAVY METAL MAG SUBSCRIPTION
Any bonafide lover of science fiction and fantasy will surely love a subscription to both Dragon Magazine and Heavy Metal Magazine. These mags are hard to come by here in the Philippines and any time you see an issue in National Bookstore, you have to shell out around Php 400. I bought the few copies I have of Heavy Metal magazine from Book Sale or other old issues mags distributors. For a time, I managed to get my sister in the US to buy old issues of Dragon for me but nothing beats a true-blue subscription for this. The subscription charges for these magazines are quite hefty and thus, are a bit difficult to financially justify.
“IF I WERE A CARPENTER” TRIBUTE ALBUM
Now this is one heck of a good album which I first heard when I was in first year college. This tribute album to Richard and Karen Carpenter included rendition of Carpenter classics from 4 Non-Blondes, Dishwalla, Shonen Knife, The Cranberries, Sheryl Crow, etc. – a freakin’ great compilation of artists including the American Music Club. “Used” albums sell for $11 on the Net. Better if I get as a gift though -- FREE!
MY OWN RECORDING STUDIO
What would be more fitting to complement the guitar than your own recording studio, right? With my own recording studio, I can finally embed into immortality the many songs (both good and bad) that I have concocted throughout the years (well, at least those songs I composed that I can still remember how to play and sing along with). One of my so-called “life projects” is to hopefully “record” the songs I’ve written so far. Not for distribution but for personal satisfaction. My concept of this studio is just simple, a room with a PC, microphones, and software to record, arrange and clean out the music plus write it on a blank CD.
WATCHMEN & INFINITE CRISIS GRAPHIC NOVELS
I’ve already mentioned I would love that someone give me comics subscription but these couple of graphic novels have attracted my fancy. The Watchmen because it was written by Alan Moore and it is critically-acclaimed as one of the best pieces of comics fiction out there. The Infinite Crisis because by acquiring the 7-issue series would bring me up-to-date with what’s happening in the DC Universe.
Most recently, I scratched off one wish from my list – a pair of hi-top Converse Chuck Taylor shoes – which I finally bought after several years of trying to find justification to do so (used the Chucks as part of my costume for our 70s-80s themed Christmas Party).
Again, belated Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year everyone!