Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Making Order of the Chaos

Last weekend was a particularly tiring one as we finally transferred addresses from our old apartment near the munisipyo to a new one just a stone throw away from my old office.

It was particularly tiring because of the physical aspect of changing homes – preparing the furniture, the appliances, the clothes, and the various abubots (which we did after-office hours and took about 5 days to finish), loading and unloading the said stuff to the new apartment (although we did hire a firm to help us move everything), cleaning the old apartment (kahiya naman kung hindi mo linisin after spending 2 years in there), and now, fixing things in the new home.

Of course, given my wife’s present condition, I am doing many of the arranging and fixing and repairing and adding and altering and dismantling myself. The furniture had to be arranged to maximize space. Nails, tacks, excess wooden protrusions, etc. had to be removed to avoid any untoward incidents. Putting up the clothes hanger, placing the necessary security measures (hasps, locks, padlocks, etc.) and covering open areas to keep out the mosquitoes were enough to keep me working well into the evening. Add to these, I had to setup my PC which was probably the least tiring of all the tasks I did. Then there’s the cable that needs to be connected and once we manage to get the bed-frame into our bedroom, I’ll take out my carpentry tools and put on the bed-frame’s legs and manhandle the mattress to be laid atop it.

I’m already expecting a weekend groaning with more work. There’s a two-week laundry in sight and more and more repairs and alterations to make our new apartment livable.

Now, the apartment is not a beauty. It’s actually a fire-trap since 3/4ths of the structure is made of wood. Only the 4th wall is made of concrete and it’s actually the firewall that’s supposed to protect the compound where the apartment is located. Elvie is even contemplating of buying a fire extinguisher just to be on the safe side. I totally agree.

At least this is more spacious and better-ventilated than our previous apartment and will be a better home for our forth and coming baby.
Related Posts with Thumbnails