This post was supposed to go up last Thursday but I fell asleep and deferred it to Friday. Was too exhausted from work yesterday when I got home that I didn't have the energy to finish it.
Hopefully this'll go up tonight, on a Saturday, while I still have some time.
* * * *
It's been rather hectic at the Desk and like I mentioned via Tweets (that is, if you're following me on Twitter), I've been rather mobile of late. Just earlier this week, I came from Legazpi City where there was an event held. Today, I came from our branch in Imus and hoping to avoid the traffic along E. Aguinaldo Highway to CavitEx, I followed my colleague's advice and took the Daang Hari Road leading to SLEX.
I got lost along Buhay na Tubig but thanks to the Maps app of my Android smartphone, I was able to get my bearings and found myself on Avenida Rizal which then led to Molino Road which eventually and finally led me to Daang Hari.
* * * *
The Maps app was also quite helpful when I was in Legazpi City earlier this week.
I was able to move around and commute (it was my first time in Legazpi, mind you) and find out the places where I wanted to go. Being a semi-mall rat, I managed to walk from Pacific Mall back to the Legazpi Tourist Inn where I was booked. I was also able to locate groceries and foodshops where I wanted to snack or dine.
On my last night at Legazpi, I wanted to try out the fabled pasta pinangat offered by Small Talk Cafe, as well as try out the pili-flavored coffee offered by La Mia Taza. So, after fulfilling whatever work was needed, I pulled out my Netphone and opened the Maps app. Thanks to the free wi-fi at the hotel, I was able to update my Maps and locate both Small Talk Cafe and La Mia Taza. Fortunately, both stores had branches located in the old Albay district, near the City Hall. With an umbrella on hand, I took the jeepney that coursed through Rizal Avenue and after 10 or 15 minutes, I found myself seated inside Small Talk Cafe waiting for my pasta pinangat to arrive. To complement the pasta dish, I also ordered their cordon bleu. Some 30 minutes later, I was already sipping pili cappuccino from the nearby La Mia Taza.
When I find myself in Legazpi again one of these days, I'll try out the other dishes at Small Talk Cafe and probably have a stroll at their upscale district over at Embarcadero de Legazpi.
* * * *
Last week, I drove some 140 miles northward to Gerona, Tarlac to attend an area meeting with our branch managers in Northern Luzon. I barely made it as the presentation was already 3/4's done when I barged through the doors of the resto they rented for the occasion.
Next week, I'll be off to Gerona again for another event for the Desk.
What I like about traveling outside of the metropolis (ahem, the likes of Imus, Dasma, and Bacoor in Cavite; and the likes of San Pedro, Sta. Rosa, and Binan in Laguna I do not count because they still feel very much like you're still in the Metro) is the state of traffic.
Well, the lack of it, actually.
Passing through SLEX, NLEX, SCTEX, ACTEX, and STAR Toll will allow you to enjoy the drive. This is particularly true for trips northward where NLEX and SCTEX offer better driving experiences than their Southern Luzon counterparts.
* * * *
Steve Nash is headed to the Los Angeles Lakers?!!! Now, that's a surprise. Not in a million chances did I ever see that coming.
So, the Nash is bringing his play-making skills to LA to team up with Kobe Bryant? Now that's something to look forward to in the NBA next season.
* * * *
Yesterday, before a lunch meeting at Hard Rock, I decided to drop by the Bibliarch branch at Glorietta to see if they have copies of Brandon Sanderson's Well of Ascension, Book 2 of his Mistborn epic. Sadly, they did not. But they did have copies of two other Sanderson books -- Warbreaker and Elantris. I debated on whether to buy one or the two but finally deciding to forego the two books and rushed upstairs to catch up for the meeting.
While I was enjoying my chicken meal (well, it was a more elaborate affair than how I named my P625 meal -- the guys we met were picking up the tab, otherwise, it was a real chicken meal for us if I was the one picking up the tab), lo and behold, I received a text from one of the staff of Bibliarch - Waltermart - Makati informing me that they've reserved a copy of the Well of Ascension and that they're holding it for me until July 9. I excitedly texted back in the affirmative that I'll be picking up my copy soon. I added that if they could also reserve as well the third book in the series -- Hero of Ages. They texted back YES.
This morning, while Ikai was at her ballet class at Dance Theatre Arts and Elvie was having her nails done, I went to Bibliarch and got my reserved copies. Now, I'm a proud owner of the three Mistborn books -- the UK version, that is, published by Gollancz. And you know what's even better, the staff offered to book wrap (as in cover) the books for free!
I think I just found my new favorite bookstore :P
* * * *
Taking advantage of the free wi-fi at Waltermart - Makati, I received an FB notification from my friend and old-bandmate, Genesis, telling me I should read John Scalzi's Redshirts.
Well, I've heard some positive stuff about the sci-fi book so just a couple of hours ago I scanned the 'net and was tipped off (thanks to the TOR feed on FB) that the TOR website offered the first 5 chapters of Redshirts for free. After just a couple of chapters (and the prologue, of course), I now am on the lookout for this book.
Any idea if this is already available here in the P.I.?