Gawd, it's been a rough past four months.
Just blogging to plug the release of Alternative Alamat, edited by Paolo Chikiamco.
In this anthology, Paolo has compiled 11 tales that re-imagines some of the Philippines' mythological gods and goddesses spiced up with cover art and interior illustrations from Tabi Po creator Mervin Malonzo. Aside from the 11 stories, the antho also has a listing of the more famous Philippine deities as well as interviews with experts in the field of Filipino folklore and mythology.
Before you rush to the bookstore, let me tell you that this ain't a physical book. It's an ebook that can be bought through Amazon (at US$4.99+) or through local online bookstore, Flipreads (Php 235). Here's the line-up of stories and extras that can be found in Alternative Alamat:
“Ana’s Little Pawnshop on Makiling St.” by Eliza Victoria
“Harinuo’s Love Song” by Rochita Loenen-Ruiz
“The Last Full Show” by Budjette Tan
“The Alipin’s Tale” by Raymond G. Falgui
“Keeper of My Sky” by Timothy James Dimacali
“Conquering Makiling” by Mo Francisco
“The Sorceress Queen” by Raissa Rivera Falgui
“Beneath The Acacia” by Celestine Trinidad
“Offerings to Aman Sinaya” by Andrei Tupaz
“Balat, Buwan, Ngalan” by David Hontiveros
“A Door Opens: The Beginning of the Fall of the Ispancialo-in-Hinirang” by Dean Alfar
Appendix A: A Few Notable Philippine Deities
Appendix B: Interview with Professor Herminia Meñez Coben
Appendix C: Interview with Professor Fernando N. Zialcita
Appendix D: On Researching Philippine Mythology
Get your copy today!
Ehems, haven't bought my copy yet (also will be purchasing the steampunk-Filipiniana comic, High Society) as I've yet to set-up my Flipreads account and tie it up with my Paypal account. Will try to work on it before the Christmas break. Tons of stuff still cluttering the Desk.
* * * *
Sniffles and a racking cough. the combo I really hate the most, especially during this season when the weather's a little bit colder, and the body's a little bit weaker. The cold and cough are freakin' hard to shake off.
The coughing is induced by the cold. Basically, what happens is that the nasal drips (because of the cold) flows into the throat area and this is what causes the coughing. My lungs are clear but my throat is phlegm-infested. So, that's why I try to squeeze out everything from my runny nose to lessen the nasal drip dripping backwards to the throat.
I guess I'm the strongest guy in the household as I'm the last person to catch the cold. It was my daughters who first caught the cold, passed it to their mother and auntie, and now I have it.
But I still hate this C2 combo - Cold and Cough. A hiccup is bearable and easily remedied. A scratch on the knee is nothing. But the C2 combo weakens me a lot.
* * * *
One last chapter and the epilogue and I'll be done with A Storm of Swords. Still thinking of what I'll be reading next though. Options are available but the cliffhangers in ASoS is going to kill me that I won't be able to resist moving onto A Feast of Crows.
Have been to Fully Booked and NBS in Greenbelt a couple of times this week but haven't bought anything yet. Might try going to Fully Booked Glorietta and Power Books as there may be books there that might catch my fancy. Let's see, let's see.
Still on the lookout for Beyond the Shadow -- Book 3 in the Night Angel Trilogy -- and I'm hoping Fully Booked will be stocking this soon (or I could always ask them to order it for me, I guess. Does anyone know if there's additional fee for this service?); and hoping that the mass market edition of Key to Creation, the culminating volume to the Terra Incognita series will become available.
* * * *
And with this post, I've managed to tie the most number of posts done in a year -- 86 posts in 2008. But I'm sure to beat that because I'll be posting a least three more times (gawk) this year. Just let me get these stuff on the Desk cleared :P
