Good evening, folks!
My daughter woke me up a while ago because I fell asleep earlier than she did. What's the problem with that? Well, apparently when that happens, she has a hard time sleeping because I snore :P
Can't argue with that.
Hence, just after a few minutes of Zzzz's, I'm now wide-awake and typing away on the keyboard on a late Saturday evening.
* * * *
So, I open up my email and lo and behold, my sister sends me a couple of cryptic messages -- "Eto na, kuya" (Here it is, bro -- translation for English readers). And the emails say that the package will be delivered to my address here in Makati, Philippines from Dubai, UAE via LBC. Holy crap!!!
Apparently, it's the small business venture that she joined in UAE that needs to take root here in the P.I. And it'll most likely be moi who'll be running it for her which is ok as Weng has been helping us out every now and then when we're in a tight spot. In any case, I have only a faint idea of what this business is all about and until I get the full details, can't reveal it yet.
It's something small, something operational out of your pocket but as the website boasts -- the potential to earn is quite big. Let's see, let's see.
* * * *
It'll be an early Monday for me -- early as in wake up time is 3am -- as I need to rush off to Valley Golf in Marikina and be there by 5am. The Desk is one of the sponsors of the event and being the marketing guy (and the one-man-army that I am), I need to be at the venue before the 6am tee-off.
I need to live early because I'm not familiar with the place. Yes, I've been there earlier this year for another event but it takes several trips for me to a place before I get it. And the Pasig-Marikina-Rizal area is not my balwarte so I need the extra time to make sure I won't get lost.
I picked up the needed materials from the office this afternoon so that there'll be no need for me to pass by before heading to Valley Golf. Straight from home, gas up, and then it's off to the highlands.
* * * *
After several weeks of burying myself in comics, I've finally picked up a book to read.
I've finally picked up George RR Martin's A Game of Thrones, the first volume of A Song of Ice and Fire, as the book I'm currently reading.
I am not yet finished with Tom Strong but I decided it was high-time I went back to my To-Be-Read pile and find a book to read. Especially so since I've added three new books to the pile -- the anthology Spectrum 2 (from Booksale), James Owen's The Search for the Red Dragon (book 2 of The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica series), and most recently (and I must say, most triumphantly), Shadow's Edge -- Book 2 of Brent Weeks' Night Angel Trilogy.
The last book is especially sweet because I've been hunting for this sequel since I've finished The Way of Shadows a few months back. If I could only get my hands on Kevin J. Anderson's final installment of the Terra Incognita series.
Now, going back to A Game of Thrones ... I actually just started the first few pages a few hours ago and I must say, the anticipation of delving into this epic series is quite exhilarating. I've read many praises for the series and being a late-comer, I come a-reading with high expectations. Especially since my appetite for this series was whetted by Martin's sampler story "The Hedge Knight" in the Legends volume which I late-reviewed a few months back.
With my opening up to the Land of the Seven Kingdoms, I may have to refrain from watching the HBO series based on the books as I might develop a "comparative" attitude to both media. As advised on some sites that have reviewed both books and TV series, read the book first. Well, probably read the first book before watching any of the episodes. Which also means I have to already make sure to buy the next book of the series, A Clash of Kings.
* * * *
I feel like I've been had.
Less than a month after buying the Smart Netphone 701, here comes Smart announcing that it's next Netphone is the Samsung Galaxy Y. Sheesh!
The Netphone 701, a rebranded ZTE Blade, isn't bad, mind you. But you will, of course, remember that I've been forever keeping my eye on purchasing a Samsung Galaxy, even a Mini one. But since the pockets aren't deep enough and Smart was offering an Android phone at a more flexible financial package, I grabbed the latter. Little did I know that Smart would be releasing a Galaxy brand as their next Netphone.
Anyways, I'll be stuck with the handset for the meantime ... two years, in fact ... unless I be allowed to upgrade phones sometime along.
Late review on the Netphone hopefully next week.