I finally caught the bug and jumped on the Android bandwagon.
Good thing Smart has offered a very affordable handset in the Smart Netphone, a Qualcomm-powered, Android 2.2 Froyo-running smartphone. Applied this morning and got the unit the same day at the Smart Wireless Center along Ayala Avenue.
This rather drastic purchase of smartphone now dashes my initial dreams of buying a Samsung Galaxy. The promo for the Netphone was simply irresistible -- at Datalite Plan 800 (yes, I'm back in the world of post-paid after more than 5 years), the unit is yours free although you do have to shell out Php 1,500.00 (so it isn't free at all, I guess). What makes getting the phone attractive is Smart's free-of-charge internet bundle of social networking until December 31, 2011. FB and Twitter to sawa until December.
The advertised features of the Netphone aren't bad and the SmartNet capabilities show some promise albeit it's still in its infancy. Probably when more and more subscribers come onboard, Smart will roll out more apps and programs. Wi-fi -- check! Camera -- check although there's no flash so night-pics might be problematic. FM radio -- check! The Netphone comes packed with a 2GB micro-SD card but if you're a sucker for space, you can upgrade it up to 16GB.
One of the best features of the phone is that it runs on Android. And that means Android Market with gazillions of apps available (okay, I'm exaggerating). Haven't tested installing apps yet.
Unfortunately, my line isn't working yet so I cannot yet enjoy the promised free internet features but I already tested the wi-fi capability of my Netphone and I'm contented.
Late review on the Smart Netphone coming soon.