After dinner last night, Elvie had to do some after-office work and I quickly joined her in our bedroom so that I could rest before doing the usual before-bedtime-stuff like taking a quick shower, doing the assignments with Ikai, and brushing teeth. After a few pages of Robert A. Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land, I fell asleep, still in my pants and in the undershirt I wore to the office. And I didn't get up until about 6am this morning.
I didn't realize I was that tired. I slept for a little over 10 hours last night and while I fidgeted and tossed and did come half-awake several times during the night (especially when the kids came upstairs and my wife and my sis-in-law and Ikai were watching Imortal on TV), I didn't have much will and desire to get up and get changed or even brush my teeth. All I wanted to do was sleep.
If I didn't have to go to work today I'm sure I could've slept well into noon-time.
* * * *
Picked up my copy of Stranger in a Strange Land from the Book Sale branch in SM Sta. Rosa last New Year's Day.
Touting itself as "The Most Famous Science Fiction Novel Ever Written", it was an intriguing proposition and I snatched up the copy which at P35.00 was a no-brainer. I bought three books from that trip, two short story anthologies and this novel by Heinlein, who along with Arthur Clarke and Isaac Asimov, are known as the Big Three of Science Fiction.
I hope to grok this book and maybe a review to follow.
* * * *
Speaking of reviews, I've been going around the net lately and have discovered a treasure trove of Filipino websites and blogs dedicated to book reviews.
Now, these would be great sources of recommendations for books-to-buy and books-to-read. While some of these newly-discovered sites focus on a particular genre, I haven't really seen one that focused exclusively on spec-fic or SF&F so I will still have to rely on old haunts (like Bibiliophile Stalker, Rocket Kapre, Philippine Genre Stories, and Estrangero) for reads and recos on my chosen genre.
Nevertheless, I've added these new sites to my list of regular virtual stopovers -- Coffee Spoons, Bookmarked!, and Blackplume.
* * * *
As to why I'm reading Heinlein's novel instead of my newly-purchased The Lost Symbol?
Wala lang. As in wala lang.
When I got to the bedroom last night, the first book that my eyes came upon was Stranger in a Stranger Land so I picked it up and started thumbing through the pages. Dan Brown will just have to wait for a bit before I judge his latest work.
* * * *
It's already Wednesday today, half of the work week is already upon us. Two more days and it's a weekend again. Yay!