The trip to the doctor yesterday wasn't so bad. At least I didn't get another dose of "you're still grossly obese" from my endo, Dr. Thelma Crisostomo.
While the results of my latest lab-tests (urinalysis, uric acid, SGOT, SGPT, FBS, HbA1C, Lipid Profile, ALDL, HDL, etc. that required the extraction of three rather large vials of blood) weren't exactly sparkling, they were within good range meaning that I'm not only controlling my diabetes but also my cholesterol levels. Closer inspection though would show that my bad cholesterols are still above the norm and my good cholesterol are below the norm. So, I need to do more and step up the lifestyle change a bit to reverse the two cholesterol-types.
My doc though was worried with the increase of my creatinine and for my next check-up scheduled three months from now I'll be undergoing a added lab-tests to determine my calcium and phosphorus content. According to Dr. Crisostomo, an increase in creatinine is normal with those with D because a diet change precipitated a decrease in Vitamin D intake. If the results in May show that my Vitamin D level has lowered, I may have to be put on Vitamin D supplements.
My blood sugar reading was in the early 90s, ways below the 113 maximum norm but my uric acid was a tad higher than norm (there goes the Nagarayas). Urinalysis was mainly a-ok, no probs.
Weight, while not mentioned, continues to be a challenge as I'm still nowhere near the goal of 160 lbs. I'm still hovering near the 200 lbs. mark and thus, need to continue laying off carbo and sugary foods (less rice, less rice, less rice). In addition, I may need to go semi-vegan because eating of meats causes the creatinine level to rise. Less intake of meats, more intake of fruits and veggies, that's the way to go.
* * * *
Since the last change oil of the big red car, the service mechanic at the Shell station where I had the change oil informed me that my front shock absorbers needed replacing already.
That was something like four or five months ago and while the big red car still drives ok, I can already feel that indeed the shocks are no longer working as they're supposed to.
A quick call to a Toyota dealership about inquiry to parts and labor cost for shock absorber replacements calls for some serious dough, something that I'm in short supply of at the moment. Will need to canvass from other auto-repair shops for a more cost-effective one. Not necessarily cheap, mind you. That's because one genuine Toyota shock absorber will cost about Php 3,000 plus (the two up-front need replacing) and while that may be the same price (more or less) of the shocks outside of a dealership, the add-ons at a casa will triple the supposed repair price.
It's a good thing the big red car is not laspag. It sits for several consecutive days out in its street parking and the only times it sees actions are weekends (going to Laguna, going to church, or going to the malls) and during the weekdays when I bring it to the office or bring my wife to her office which are just a few kilometers away. So, no heavy driving for the big red car on a regular basis. The farthest it had gone (since it has come under my ownership) north and south are Olongapi City and Lipa City, respectively.
But the shocks are becoming a necessity and I'll need to cough up some serious dough sooner than later.
* * * *
I was late for work this morning because I had to bring the car to a vulcanizing shop. One of the rear wheels was consistently not in sync with the other three in terms of air. While the other three are steady at the 33-35 psi level, the fourth wheel was hitting the lower 20s!. Cause for alarm!
This morning after dropping off my wife and her officemates to their meeting, I experienced a drag from the rear. Suspecting the tire again, I went to a gas station, gassed up (needed to), and had my tires checked. The read-out: 33 - 34 - 33 - and 21! There was really something wrong with that tire.
So, off in a huff I went to a nearby vulcanizing shop. Lo and behold, the aforementioned tire was punctured by a one-inch screw. The embedded screw was slowly siphoning off the air from the tire and was the cause of its rapid deflation. After some 15 minutes, the guilty screw was pulled out and the hole patched up.
* * * *
The shocks are just one of several repair stuff that need to be done on the big red car. The wiper blades need replacing (will probably buy a DIY kit and do it myself), the misting doesn't work (need a specialist to check the hoses and connections), the air-con is leaking and probable cause is clogging somewhere in the air-con system, and the car is in need of a good waxing to get back its shiny surface (scratches and swirls abound). It'll also be due for another change oil in a couple thousand kilometers.
Inspite of these, the big red car is in good shape, so far. Still runs smoothly and shows no major issues, thank goodness for that.
* * * *
Our little Ikai is graduating.
I kid you not.
She is graduating from nursery school and has the billing statement to prove it -- Php 1,500 as graduation fee including toga rental!
Of course, we'll be supporting her all the way and I'm sure my parents, doting on their apos, will support her as well.
It'll be a big family event on March 26 when Ikai graduates :)
* * * *
Finished with Stranger in a Strange Land and I've already done a review. However, I'll be posting the review in the next few days as I want to accompany that with an image of the book. I can't attach photos when I do these posts via email from the Desk.
So, since I'll be off (from work) starting the day after tomorrow, I can probably update this with the review then.
Currently reading The Difference Engine by William Gibson and Bruce Sterling. I've started reading the opening chapter a few months back but had to abandon it since I wasn't in the proper mood. Now that I've started reading it again from the start, I've realized I didn't absorb anything when I first read it back then. Now, the story is starting to take shape and hopefully this'll be a good read since it has been reviewed positively by many.