Thursday, January 20, 2011

oh eye see

Apparently my eyes are still ok, sort of.
 
Last year, two incidences with doctors -- one during the company annual physical and the other when I had to have a cyst in my eye removed -- had me advised I needed glasses ostensibly because my eyesight was no longer good enough and secondly because, according to the doc who took out the cyst, it would help with the slight refraction I had in my right eye.
 
What's with the refraction? Well, it seems that my left eye is more dominant than the right eye so the tendency is that I tend to focus more with my left than with my right. With the lesser pressure on my right eye, it has veered rightways a bit, the result is that I am nababanlag. According to the eye doc, when I look straight at something, it can be gleamed that my pupils are no longer straight -- my left pupil looks straight at an object (because its the dominant one) but my right, being the submissive one, has tended to look towards the right. His suggestion was a pair of glasses to repair the problem.
 
On the other hand, both eye exams last year informed me that I no longer have perfect vision -- something that I have suspected for a long time to be true. On both instances, the recommendation was a pair of glasses.
 
After putting off the spectacle of finally using spectacles, I found my way to our HMO yesterday noon and scheduled a consultation with their ophthalmologist. The idea was to get a diagnosis / recommendation / check-up and afterwards, get in touch with an optometrist who would be the one to actually make the glasses.
 
After a thorough check-up by the ophtha, he declared that while my vision wasn't a perfect 20/20, it wasn't that bad. My right eye was indeed weaker as it had a grade of 100 while the left eye was only at grade 50. I asked for the doc's professional assessment and he said unless my left eye reached 75, then I didn't need yet to worry about glasses.
 
I also told him about my wall-eyedness and slight refraction and after a series of tests, he said he didn't detect any noticeable refraction. If there was, he said, it is so slight it's hardly discernible. He also explained that as people grow old, there's always the possibility of developing a refraction but that it's natural. It's only when the refraction occurs between one to nine years old that it must be treated.
 
So, there's really nothing wrong with my eyes for now and he just recommended I have my eyes checked annually.
 
With such good news, I left the HMO clinic feeling and seeing better :)
Related Posts with Thumbnails