Thursday, November 11, 2010

thursday tidbits: rain, birthday girls, the check-up, anathem again

It's going to be another busy weekend for the household with lots of errands to run.
 
Mainly, it's because my daughters are celebrating their birthdays one month after another. Ikai celebrates her birthday on November 18 and there'll be a couple of mini-events to celebrate that. First, as it has become custom in her nursery school, we will be holding a small salu-salo for Ikai and her class on the 17th (so that means I need to take a leave on that day). We were supposed to do the mini salu-salo on the 18th but her school scheduled their field trip that day so that had to move. We then do the other event on the Saturday, the 20th. It's going to be a small party at our apartment with just a few kids, intimate family, and a few of the neighbors over.
 
Then little Issa celebrates her 1st birthday on December 13. Since it'll be falling on a weekday, we'll be moving it to the nearest weekend possible. The date is still flexible at this point but that's to be taken cared of asap lest other celebrators chose the venue and date.
 
In fact, weather permitting, Elvie and I will be heading over to the venue later today to ensure a lock-grip on the date.
 
Going back to how my daughters' birthday relate to this weekend being a busy one ... it's the preparations for these events that's going to make Saturday and Sunday busy. Trips this weekend include a few hours at the mall and then hitting the grocery. In between, Issa has to have her shots which has been long overdue.
 
Hopefully, the weather won't be too foul so we won't have to worry about getting from point A to point B.
 
* * * *
 
Had my periodic check-up with Dra. Thelma Crisostomo this morning (surprisingly, there were fewer clients around) and she asked me to bring home my bad results.
 
Why?
 
While my blood sugar was within range, my triglycerides and my cholesterol levels were off the chart. In fact, from my last lab results in July, the test results I had this week worsened.
 
So, my beloved rattled off --- lessen the carbo, lessen the rice, corn, bread, pasta, macaroni, sandwiches, burgers, french fries, etc. -- all carbo-loaders. She even adviced that I halve my rice intake and "magpapak ng ulam".
 
She is expecting better results when we next meet in February before Valentines, she stresses. She hasn't changed my medication except for one med -- from Vidastat, she asked me to take Lipitor -- but stressed I needed to go on diet, specifically change my lifestyle in terms of food.
 
Hay ...
 
* * * *
 
The good thing despite all the not-so-jolly diagnosis of my endocrinologist is that I'm still very much under 200 lbs. The frequent walks I've been taking has really been helping me stave off the 200-mark and coupled with the diet my doctor is asking me to do, I believe I can go under 190 lbs. soon.
 
Unfortunately, Christmas is just around the corner and we all know that means -- good food. And by good food that means bad food according to my doctor and any bonafide dietitian.
 
But, I must not give in to gluttony and just allow myself little bits of this and that. Like another doc has told me, while I do have the big D, there's no reason for me to avoid eating as long as I eat moderately. Count the calories, lookout for the sugar rush, and always take your meds.
 
Amen, doc!
 
* * * *
 
I'm now about half-way through Neal Stephenson's Anathem.
 
The story's picking up nicely now that I've gotten used to the way it's written by Stephenson somewhat. It's the book I'm now carrying around anywhere I go. It's been with me to Davao on my most recent trip and was my companion when I saw my doctor this morning (waiting for my turn). The story's starting to hook me under it's fantastical spell, I just hope it doesn't disappoint towards the end.
 
* * * *
 
If you haven't seen me around online the past couple of weeks you can blame Globe for that.
 
The connection at home has been inutile at best. Calls to their hotline and chats through their online chat customer service have proven to be tiresome as their CS center seems to be not in sync with their technical support center. What the F gives, Globe?
 
After almost a week of incessant calling and chatting, one of their technicians finally came to the apartment yesterday. His diagnosis -- naipit yung internal na linya (the internet wire in the house got bamboozled) hence the loss of both dial tone for the phone and the internet connection.
 
Yes, I couldn't believe it either but that's their expert opinion. When I came home yesterday evening, the internet connection was still on-and-off somewhat before steadying around 9pm.
 
If ever we move to another apartment or to our permanent home one of these days, one thing is for certain -- will be thinking twice before considering taking Globe as our internet provider. If another provider will be around, will consider them first.
 
* * * *
 
Been raining hard the past few days, 'no?
 
A couple of nights ago, it rained hard around midnight complete with the thunder and lightning effects. I was semi-awake the entire time and around 12:45pm I came to my full senses.
 
Why?
 
Well, I was getting worried. Worried that with the rain seeming not to let up it might flood. Worried that the big red car parked outside might get flooded.
 
I was deliberating whether to get up, go down, go out and check the big red car; or not; when the rain slackened a bit. That relaxed me and I went back to sleep.
 
Memories of last year's Ondoy still hounded me, yes.
Related Posts with Thumbnails