Wednesday, September 02, 2009

the switch - blogwise

In terms of personal blogging, 2009 is bound to be the weakest year in terms of number of posts done.

This post you're reading is so far only #29 (when it gets pasted) whereas last year I managed 86 posts and in 2007 I did 45. In 2006, when I first wrote on this blog, I registered 54 posts. While I can blame work for the rather anemic blogging, it certainly isn't just the reason.

2009 kept me busy blogging away on my supposedly income-generating blog (which unfortunately didn't generate any income at all) writing a total of 105 news posts to date. In 2008 when I first started writing that blog - I whipped up 153 news posts and an inquiry on advertising. Sadly, being run on Wordpress.com, it wasn't advertising friendly so the ad deal fell through. It again elicited interest from a potential advertiser but then again, that didn't materialize as well.

So, rather than waste my time on that blog, my options are a) transfer it to Blogger.com (which is more friendlier to advertisements, banners, and the like) or, b) create an actual website for that.

After the walk home yesterday, I've decided on Option A which I think is more cost-effective. Option B can be considered once that blog of mine starts generating income (as the blog is supposed to be doing when I first conceptualized it). Option A is also a more amiable solution given that I already have an existing Blogger blog of the same nature (so it's basically re-activating the Blogger account and redirecting old viewers to the new) and Blogger allows you to use your own domain for your blog (which is great because I also have already bought the same domain sans the ".blogspot") thereby making life easier as I am no web designer and totally idiotic when it comes to coding.

Next steps right now are to find the right design and start writing and generating visitors. The latter is actually the easier of the two next steps. Last night, I've been ogling Blogger template sites and by trial and error trying on templates with the blog. The problem arises in that there doesn't seem to be that many Blogger templates around as compared to Wordpress templates.

Nevertheless, I might be settling on either this, or this, or this (thanks to eblogtemplates and Falcon Hive) largely because I want to adopt a magazine-newspaper style for my blog and the ability to host ads (which is a big consideration why I'm switching from WP to Blogger in the first place).

I hope to launch the new blog site by early next week and then move on to two other online blog sites that I hope will also be causes for financial joy. Until then, I've got to work on the bells and whistles.
Related Posts with Thumbnails