facebooked
Long work hours and not much free minutes in between have kept me from doing regular chit-chat here at The Coffee House Chronicles. But I have been finding the minutes to read snippets of what is happening with friends thanks to Facebook. After Wendell (yes, Wendell) egged me to create an account a couple of weeks back, I've found myself at work with FB just on the background. And on the sly, I click the FB tab on my browser, hit F5, and instantly find out what the heck you guys are doing right now. And at this point, it is indeed niftier than Friendster although I do still check out FS on a periodic basis. But faster updates can now be found on my Facebook account :)
new feature on tcc
Several writing contests and ventures have sprung up and to keep myself reminded of the deadlines (without the need to revisit PGS, Banzai Cat and Dean every now and then to keep track of things), I have put a list on the left side of this blog under the heading Contests Needing Coffee Fuel. One click and I'm instantly transported to the website and exact page where the rules of the contests or writing ventures appear.
Upcoming contests and deadlines include:
PGS - Story Philippines Collaboration -- 28 February
INSPIRED! A Tribute to the Book that Started It All -- 28 February
Romeo Forbes' Children's Storywriting Contest -- 20 March
Farthest Shore: Online Spec-Fic -- 15 April
Destinations: Future -- 30 June
Click the links on the left to find out more about each writing contest and venture!
the drive
Last weekend, after learning that I would soon be hitting the road as a student driver in an effort to finally and overduely learn how to drive, my father volunteered to teach me the basics. So, off we went to a secluded area of Pacita in San Pedro, Laguna (actually beside South Super Hi-way) and there I got to drive an actual car for the first time in my life.
Second, if you want to be technical about it because the first gas-powered car I rode was a go-kart in Speed Zone which required you to pedal gas and brake but last Sunday was the first time that I have ever started a car on my own, worked the clutch-brake-gas pedal (miserably), steered (and managed to get my arms wrapped), handled the stick, and on my own, make a full-sized automobile move and in the process shift from primera to seconda (and for a fraction, tercera as well).
Exhilirating and exciting, I had trouble managing the sequence of events that go with driving (step on the clutch first, release the handbreak, shift from neutral to first gear, and step on the gas while simultaneously releasing the clutch) and had trouble judging my distance with all manners of objects on the right side of the car. But I think I managed well enough -- no bruises or bends when we finally called it a day and my father and I returned home to announce the triumph (and avoidance of disaster).
Next stop, get a student license from LTO and find the moolah for driving school :P
done and sealed
This morning, I found myself at the PAL ticketing office in Makati (Power Realty Building along Pasay Road as opposed to their old office which I knew well along Legaspi Street) claiming tickets for the planned April trip to my folks' hometown of Basey, Samar. After more than two decades of not making an appearance, I will once again set foot in the old town which promises to be modernized after all these years. The trip is part of Weng's vacation who arrives from Dubai mid-April and will include Elvie, little Ikai (on her first airplane trip) and of course, my father and mother.
gaming online
Alright, aside from FB, what's keeping my free minutes occupied (and hours occupied at home) are several online games that I keep track of. There's NationStates 2 whereby I, as President, is tasked with making sure my fledgling nation runs smoothly and that's based on decisions I make on issues and matters presented on me. I am also keeping track of my rebuilding of several planets over at Space Invasion as well as running my illegal and immoral businesses in Mafia:1930. Recently, I got engrossed with a trucking simulation called Trukz and I'm going crazy making sure my empires run properly and profitably in Ikariam, Kings Age, and more recently Damoria.
Ikariam is especially interesting since the entire game is running in Filipino. All instructions and gameplay content have been translated into Filipino. It's not perfect (Board as in forum has been translated into Isakay -- sheesh) but workable. It actually feels like your playing Settlers minus the animation and action.