Yesterday, I finally got to sit down with my boss and we talked about my annual evaluation.
Any corporate stiff can tell you that an evaluation (there are other terms for it such as performance appraisal and performance rating and key results discussion or the longer performance evaluation but I prefer the simplistic "evaluation") is one of the nightmares an employee anticipates on a periodic basis.
Depending on your company policy, an evaluation can be done every three months, every half-year or annually like what I went through yesterday. But whatever the covered period or appraisal period or evaluation period, the expectations are that:
a) you will be evaluated based on your performance for the ascertained period -- whether you sucked on it, did average, or wowed the whole lot of them
b) you will be asked to comment on the evaluation -- the chance to defend yourself if you did suck or coasted averagely along
c) your evaluator will tell you what you need to improve (all for the benefit of the company, of course)
Alongside the above-mentioned stuff, the evaluation is usually (although not necessarily) accompanied by any or all of the following:
a) a raise or salary adjustment (especially for a job well done)
b) a promotion (again for a job well done)
c) feedback or evaluation from your colleagues
My company has recently upgraded its evaluation system by synergizing the old system with the popular 360 Degrees Feedback Rating system and this was the system under which I was evaluated for the past year (although I am still in debate whether the upgraded bit was necessarily synonymous with the word improve in this case).
Personally, I was actually looking forward to the evaluation primarily because I wanted to find out what others thought of me. I wanted to know how they perceive me as a leader of the department and as the performer. Did I do well? Did I get the job done? What things do I need to improve on? What else can I do to become a better employee?
And what was the verdict?
I did well but I was expected to take the next step in the corporate ladder -- go to the next level.
Ok, ok, so I need to be more visible to the bosses and show them I'm the man behind the wheel driving the entire thingy of a department.
Ok, so what did others say about me?
That I'm dependable, reliable, can be counted on to get the job done.
Ok, sounds encouraging. What else was the feedback (this was the 360 Degrees after all I'm sure there were other juicier feedback?)
That I should stop eating unhealthy food (how does that qualify as constructive criticism from which I can develop myself better as a corporate slave?)
There's got to be more constructive and more intuitive feedback for sure? (Heck, when someone asks me to do a 360 for them I believe I give them value for their money, so to speak)
Yes, there's more ... that I should smile often.
WTF?