Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Wednesday Warbles: Left Behind, MyDestiny, Ikai at 10

not wanting to be left behind

Driven by the urge to read a new book, I passed by the Books for Less kiosk inside RCBC Plaza intent on purchasing a book I saw there last week – Jerry Jenkins and Tim LaHaye’s apocalyptic fiction – Left Behind.

For Php 169 pesos, I took home the paperback edition of this controversial book, which according to cataloguists is a Christian-oriented book.

Why the sudden departure from my comfort zone of dungeons and dragons? And a religious book at that?

I read about the Left Behind series while I was on one of those “anywhere goes” cyber-surfing sessions (most probably between 2:00 – 4:00 in the afternoon, while in the office). The series’ premise of the Rapture (that Christian belief that Christ will gather all the faithful in an instance) and its view of apocalypse caught my fancy. The entire series stretches 13 books (plus three prequel books) and if I manage to get through with this first book with my interest still unquenched, the Left Behind series will become another target in my book-hunt list.


same old, same old

A couple of months back, I got “promoted”. I now manage the day-to-day stuff of the newly-organized Communications Department which covers advertising, marketing (partly), PR, promotions, and graphic design.

The funny thing is that I just found myself right smack back into the role that I used to do for the Lhuillier Group a couple of years back.

So, it’s really same old, same old … just a different company, a new position name, and a better paycheck.


some bad news

My good friend Wendell was diagnosed a couple of weeks back with acquired leukaemia. Of course, everyone in the ‘kada was devastated with the sad news. Wendz was the least likely person everyone expected to get this kind of illness.

So, it was quite a composed group that visited him a couple of Saturdays back and of course, everyone’s hoping for his swiftest recovery.

Get well, dude.


reconnected to the world

After more than a month of being unlinked, I now can connect to the internet from the comforts of our new apartment, specifically, from the comfort of our bed.

Our home PC is now connected to cyberspace thanks to MyDestiny cable internet which we finally decided to get installed after fiddling with the possibility of having PLDT DSL, Globe Broadband, and Smart BRO. The main determining factor for choosing anew MyDestiny was price. For a mere P1,500 reconnection fee and thanks to the existing Destiny Cable wiring inside the apartment, MyDestiny had no problem reconnecting my PC to their broadband service.


tito tito

Some more good news, I will soon be a Tito and Ikai will soon have a cousin.


ikai at ten months

Yesterday, September 18, a chocolate cake and spaghetti I cooked were the main fare as Elvie and I, along with Ikai’s yaya, and Daisy and Lito, celebrated Ikai’s ten month.

While waiting for sleepiness to take over (Ikai slept early thanks largely because she continuously had been playing with her tita hours before), my wife and I reviewed Ikai’s pictures from previous months and we were amazed how big she has grown.

Ikai can now stand up on her own and do a little jig. It won’t be long now before she attempts to take her first steps. We predict that by the time she hits her birthday in November, she’ll already be walking.


the sleeper

Despite the presence of a personal project of mine, I’ve found myself sleeping more hours than usual for the past three weeks.

For most nights these past few weeks, I usually was already asleep before 10pm … sleeping while Kris Aquino is still on the tube, as she hosts Kapamilya Deal or No Deal. Sometimes, I even beat my daughter when it comes to snoozing.

While sleeping more hours is good, it often leaves me groggy in the morning.

That’s because when I sleep longer hours, say 8 hours, I usually wake up after 3 or 4 hours to answer nature’s call. What happens is my body “wakes up” and I feel ok. But then again, I know I need to sleep again so instead of sleeping one 8-hour stretch, it’s like take two 4-hour naps.

When that happens, when I wake up in the morning, it just feels like I’m waking up from a short 4-hour snoring session that leaves me wasted, tired and yearning for more sleep.
Related Posts with Thumbnails