Well, not really brand new but still spanking.

It’s a Nokia 6600 which I fondly call sabon or soap mainly because the shape of the nefarious thing is not dissimilar to a bar of soap one finds inside the shower. Talk about cool features, owning this phone is like traveling light-years. It’s definitely a big, big step from the N3200 I lost a month back and definitely an evolution from the 3315, the 3210 and the 5110 I used in my early cellular phone days back in 2000. For freaking sakes, my new phone has a camera!
Yes, I know I sound stupid. A camera is nothing new to cellphones nowadays. The question is how powerful is the camera? But heck, this is the first time I will own a cellphone with camera capabilities so forgive me if I sound like a child or Forrest Gump who’s relishing a box of chocolates.
I said earlier that the N6600 is not really new. In fact, it’s a second hand unit my wife got for me from Cebuana Lhuillier Pawnshop. Last Saturday, with the phone in hand, I went to one of the cellphone shops inside Gold Crest in Glorietta to have the phone unlocked. The previous owner was probably an OFW based in the United Kingdom because the phone was locked with T-Mobile Network. It was a no sweat job for the cellphone repair guy, and took less than a minute. And it cost P250! The guy was saying, you’re not paying for the time, you’re paying for the talent. As if he needed any talent to unlock it. If I had his equipment (PC, software and correct phone cable), I’m sure I could’ve done in on my own.
The phone comes with a 32MB memory card, 28MB of which was already filled up. The phone was obviously owned by an anime lover because wallpapers and themes and music it had featured Naruto, Evangelion, Doraemon and a host of other fave animes. The lone exception is probably the Spawn theme. I do however have to buy a new and bigger-sized memory-card for this 6600 because the lack of space is slowing down the phone.
My main indifference to the 6600 is its size. It’s quite difficult to grasp because of its soap-like shape and some of the buttons are located on the extreme sides of the phone – the answer key, hang-up key, cancel key, and the menu key. I’m still getting used to the placement of these keys which I particularly am fond of using in my previous mobile units.
A plus, with this 6600 is that it’s pre-loaded with an extra game – Ragnarok Merchant – a stand-alone mobile game designed for high-end phones. Though not as sophisticated as the online game of Ragnarok, it’s a welcome diversion from Snakes and Mix Pix.
So, folks, the subscriber can now be reached, finally!