It’s been over a week since I lost my cellphone and so far, I’ve been faring well. I’m not those who are overly-dependent on their mobile phone that they lose their sanity. I was just chatting to Joan this morning (an old colleague who I eventually managed to fish in cyberspace using YM) and told her the story of how I lost my phone. She said that if ever she was the one to lose her phone she would shed tears of blood. For a phone?! Like really?!
In any case, the only dilemma of not having a mobile phone is that you are somewhat not easy to reach. In the country of cellphones and text messages, having no phone is akin to being primitive and uncivilized. It’s past being “in” but more you’re invisible if you have no phone.
However, I live by and patiently waiting for the day I acquire a new phone. Where am I getting one? Via the pawnshop, specifically from Cebuana Lhuillier Pawnshop, my old company where they accept mobile phones as pawned items.
* * * * *
In the new apartment we have Skycable which we inherited from the former tenants (the payment of which we will just continue) and already I’m enjoying the benefits from the added channels – AXN, LifeStyle Network, Solar Sports, Animax, Hero Channel. I do however mourn the loss of Discovery Travel and Living (no more Ian Wright or Megan McCormick or Paul Bassett or Samantha Brown) unless we upgrade to the Platinum service. Egad!?
In any case, I spent the past couple of Sunday afternoon hooked to AXN watching the marathon of CSI shows – Las Vegas, New York and Miami and over the weekend I also managed to watch the Cowboy Beebop movie over on Animax.
In all, the loss of Discovery Travel and Living is saddening but the additional channels are great cheer-me-ups.
* * * * *
I bought a new game last Saturday – Coffee Break – developed by an indie games development group in the UK (I think) and to be honest, it has been a bit disappointing.
I admit I was attracted to the game’s premise – you take control of a character in an office setting and mix business and pleasure in a game which allows you to control the actions of your character. Reminds you of another game – The Sims 1/2 – and I was expectantly thinking it would be similar to the great game from Maxis.
Unfortunately, Coffee Break doesn’t live up to the hype. The choices the character you control can make are, at best, limited and repetitive. You’re presented missions and goals to achieve but these become mechanical and excitement dies down after a few minutes of playing the game.
Hopefully, the creators of the Sims can provide us with another expansion that allows players a peek at our Sims’ office. They’ve done Sims University already so I think an expansion in the office setting is imminent.
* * * * *
Only a month to go before the submission deadline of that spec-fic anthology that writer Dean Alfar broadcasted some months back and I still have yet to write down a sentence. I haven’t even written “Once upon a time …”
Sigh …
* * * * *
The weather finally got to me last night.
I had a prevailing headache all afternoon at the office which evolved to a slight fever in the evening when I got home. By bed time, I already felt so cold that I had to sleep under the blanket and had to put on a shirt (I normally sleep wearing just boxers … just boxers).
By the wee hours of the morning, I was already perspiring which is a good sign. It meant that the fever had run its course and I was on the way to wellness. By wake-up-time I was felt much, much better although my joints still ache.
I believe the cold conditions in the office, stress, and the rainy weather combined forces to try and put me down with flu.
Ingat na lang po palagi.
* * * * *
I’m disappointed in Globe.
I wanted to apply for broadband connection for our new apartment located in Makati (Makati being a preferred Globe service area) but when I inquired at their Park Square office, I was told that my area (Barangay Valenzuela) was not being serviced yet and there was no line available!
By chance, a Globelines booth was setup that same day at Puregold Makati and proceeded to try my luck there. Those manning the booths told me that they were positive I can be provided with service mainly because my address was in Makati. They further added that those in the Globe Center in Park Square do not actually know if they are servicing an area or not and that they were the ones who knew better because they were the ones doing the inspections and stuff.
Genuinely pleased, I proceeded to fill-out the service application form taking 15 minutes to do that. I was also assured that they’ll be doing the inspection the following day and if everything is satisfactory, I’ll be hooked up to the broadband service in 3 days.
Guess what? No response from Globe. I gave them all our contact details, even providing my wife’s cellphone number, but no one came Sunday to inspect. They also have my office number and my wife’s office number but still no call.
I’m really disappointed.
In any case, the only dilemma of not having a mobile phone is that you are somewhat not easy to reach. In the country of cellphones and text messages, having no phone is akin to being primitive and uncivilized. It’s past being “in” but more you’re invisible if you have no phone.
However, I live by and patiently waiting for the day I acquire a new phone. Where am I getting one? Via the pawnshop, specifically from Cebuana Lhuillier Pawnshop, my old company where they accept mobile phones as pawned items.
* * * * *
In the new apartment we have Skycable which we inherited from the former tenants (the payment of which we will just continue) and already I’m enjoying the benefits from the added channels – AXN, LifeStyle Network, Solar Sports, Animax, Hero Channel. I do however mourn the loss of Discovery Travel and Living (no more Ian Wright or Megan McCormick or Paul Bassett or Samantha Brown) unless we upgrade to the Platinum service. Egad!?
In any case, I spent the past couple of Sunday afternoon hooked to AXN watching the marathon of CSI shows – Las Vegas, New York and Miami and over the weekend I also managed to watch the Cowboy Beebop movie over on Animax.
In all, the loss of Discovery Travel and Living is saddening but the additional channels are great cheer-me-ups.
* * * * *
I bought a new game last Saturday – Coffee Break – developed by an indie games development group in the UK (I think) and to be honest, it has been a bit disappointing.
I admit I was attracted to the game’s premise – you take control of a character in an office setting and mix business and pleasure in a game which allows you to control the actions of your character. Reminds you of another game – The Sims 1/2 – and I was expectantly thinking it would be similar to the great game from Maxis.
Unfortunately, Coffee Break doesn’t live up to the hype. The choices the character you control can make are, at best, limited and repetitive. You’re presented missions and goals to achieve but these become mechanical and excitement dies down after a few minutes of playing the game.
Hopefully, the creators of the Sims can provide us with another expansion that allows players a peek at our Sims’ office. They’ve done Sims University already so I think an expansion in the office setting is imminent.
* * * * *
Only a month to go before the submission deadline of that spec-fic anthology that writer Dean Alfar broadcasted some months back and I still have yet to write down a sentence. I haven’t even written “Once upon a time …”
Sigh …
* * * * *
The weather finally got to me last night.
I had a prevailing headache all afternoon at the office which evolved to a slight fever in the evening when I got home. By bed time, I already felt so cold that I had to sleep under the blanket and had to put on a shirt (I normally sleep wearing just boxers … just boxers).
By the wee hours of the morning, I was already perspiring which is a good sign. It meant that the fever had run its course and I was on the way to wellness. By wake-up-time I was felt much, much better although my joints still ache.
I believe the cold conditions in the office, stress, and the rainy weather combined forces to try and put me down with flu.
Ingat na lang po palagi.
* * * * *
I’m disappointed in Globe.
I wanted to apply for broadband connection for our new apartment located in Makati (Makati being a preferred Globe service area) but when I inquired at their Park Square office, I was told that my area (Barangay Valenzuela) was not being serviced yet and there was no line available!
By chance, a Globelines booth was setup that same day at Puregold Makati and proceeded to try my luck there. Those manning the booths told me that they were positive I can be provided with service mainly because my address was in Makati. They further added that those in the Globe Center in Park Square do not actually know if they are servicing an area or not and that they were the ones who knew better because they were the ones doing the inspections and stuff.
Genuinely pleased, I proceeded to fill-out the service application form taking 15 minutes to do that. I was also assured that they’ll be doing the inspection the following day and if everything is satisfactory, I’ll be hooked up to the broadband service in 3 days.
Guess what? No response from Globe. I gave them all our contact details, even providing my wife’s cellphone number, but no one came Sunday to inspect. They also have my office number and my wife’s office number but still no call.
I’m really disappointed.