Monday, July 03, 2006

Playing BAD-minton Again

After a year of hiatus from the sports, I once again took up a badminton racquet and played some doubles with officemates at the Shuttlemaster Courts located inside the Sta. Ana Park. Yes, you get to smash some shuttlecocks and run around the court while thoroughbreds raced just a few meters outside.

Shuttlemasters has very nice facilities, two floors of badminton courts and air-conditioned dressing room (which came as a surprise when I finally decided to stop playing and changed my drenched shirt). We played upstairs on three courts which had taraflex flooring. The courts downstairs were reportedly wooden (I wasn’t able to see the courts downstair).

What’s good about the badminton aside from getting to flush out some stress, and stretch my aging muscles (and I think I lost some pounds), was that it was for free. I just hope this becomes a regular gig. A regular and FREE gig.

Last Thursday night, I think I played about 5 sets of badminton … all doubles because with my bulk, playing singles will be out of the question. If I had played singles, I’m sure I’ll drop dead chasing the shuttlecock all over the court.

And what was I using? I wasn’t using my own racquet but a friend’s Prince racquet which has also not seen action for a year now. I plan to change the grip of my own Prince I1000 Tour racquet and try and get used to it again in the upcoming games. It’s better to play with your own racquet anyway so that you get used to its weight, length and other nuances that you only realize when you continuously use it.

Bad thing about badminton (especially when you don’t warm-up) is that your body is sore the following day. Ouch!
Related Posts with Thumbnails